Health information and decision making for joint replacement
- WebMD is a respected resource for health information and offers tools to manage health. This link contains information for knee and hip replacement as a result of osteoarthritis (OA).
- UpToDate provides clinical decision support information for medical conditions and treatments including total knee replacement and total hip replacement. The site’s users comprise doctors and patients who use the resource to help make decisions about treatment.
- Orthoinfo is a resource for musculoskeletal conditions and injuries. This resource contains articles as well as videos. The information was developed by orthopedic surgeons who are members of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. All information provided at the site is peer reviewed by the OrthoInfo Editorial Board.
- American Association for Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) aims to enhance patient care for hip and knee patients through advocacy and education. Please note that registration is required to access materials on this website.
- Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) has been nationally ranked #1 in orthopedics, and #3 in rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report (2015-16).This site provides information about services, physicians and surgeons, and treatment options.
- WebMD offers an online exchange forum for individuals with knee and hip replacements to share their concerns, experiences and information.
- Bonesmart promotes awareness through information and provides a forum for organizations involved in advocacy for patients and/or candidates for hip and knee joint replacement.
- Healthline.com offers a compilation of the “Best Knee Replacement Blogs of the Year” (2014). Healthline.com’s mission is to promote empowerment of individuals through information and access to knowledge.
- Hipster Club offers blog posts and information related to hip pain and hip surgery plus a big dose of ‘hip’ attitude and friendliness.
Nutrition and diet
Being overweight puts added stress on joints. Some procedures—such as hip replacement surgery—may require an alteration in diet.
Caregiver support and education
- Depuy Synthes, an implant device manufacturer, provides resources and information for caregivers or family members of patients undergoing knee replacement and hip replacement surgery. Information includes treatment options, what to expect before and after surgery, seminars, and implant device information.
- Zimmer, an implant device manufacturer, offers resources for caregivers including what to expect after a loved one has surgery. The site also provides educational material and suggests how caregivers can take care of themselves while caring for a loved one.